HOT AND COLD SNORKELING TOUR
If you are interested in taking on the natural elements in Iceland, this HOT AND COLD SNORKELING TOUR is for you! You will snorkel in the cold, unbelievably clear water in one of the world’s most fantastic snorkel sites, Silfra, then warm up with the steam from a hot spring in the relaxing Laugarvatn Fontana spa.
We can proudly state that DIVE.IS will offer you the best service level at Silfra. Let us tell you why:
- We built our own changing room so that our guests have the opportunity to dress up inside a heated changing van.
- After snorkeling in the cold water, we warm you up with hot cocoa and cookies.
- Our guides are all experienced PADI divemasters and instructors that have been through professional training before running any of our tours.
You can look for more tours.
Your adventure begins with the snorkeling tour of Silfra. Silfra, the famous fissure between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates, provides an underwater experience unlike anywhere else on earth. Floating in the crystal-clear glacial water will give you the sensation of flying as you pass through an expansive canyon created by the slow separation of the tectonic plates.
This is the Cold part of this experience but doesn’t worry, Silfra is always a comfortable 2-3°C. You will also be provided with a dry suit and an undergarment to keep you dry and warm, only your face and hands will experience the cold.
After your 30-40 minute snorkeling session in Silfra, you can explore the Thingvellir area as you wish before moving on to Laugarvatn Fontana to warm up.
Related post: ATV and Snowmobile tours.
Laugarvatn village has been a place to bathe since Viking times as a geothermal hot spring is situated right by Lake Laugarvatn warming up the water. Laugarvatn Fontana took the idea one step further and built their steam rooms on top of the bubbling hot spring making the experience truly Icelandic. Guests can also relax in the natural pools and hot tubs in between dips in the cold lake.
Silfra and Laugarvatn Fontana are both on the Golden Circle, making this tour the perfect Golden Circle activity and spa self-drive combo in Iceland!
Once you are hot you can continue on the Golden Circle, you are only a stone’s throw away from the famous hot spring Geysir and Gullfoss waterfall.
This is a combo self-drive tour (pick-up is not an option). The meeting point for Silfra Snorkeling is at Thingvellir national park. The drive from Reykjavik is about 1 hour.
Please visit Laugarvatn Fontana for their location. The drive from Silfra is about 30 minutes. The time on your voucher is an approximate time. You do not have to go at that time, your voucher is valid all day. Laugarvatn Fontana also has an excellent lunch and dinner buffet plus the one and only Geothermal Bakery where you can experience the very Icelandic pot-baked bread we call Rúgbrauð.
If someone in your party doesn’t snorkel but wants to visit the spa with you, you can book them in from this page.
- All year round, daily. Don’t see a tour time that works for you, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will find the best time for you
- Approx. 2.5 hours at Silfra, 30 minutes drive to Fontana. Relax as long as you want in the Fontana Spa.
- Maximum 6 snorkelers per snorkel guide
- Minimum 3 snorkelers. We will refund you in full if the minimum is not met
- Guided snorkeling trip
- All necessary snorkeling equipment
- Hot chocolate and cookies after the snorkeling trip
- Vegan hot chocolate and cookies are available, if you are vegan let us know at email@example.com
- Entrance fee into Silfra
- Entrance fee at Laugarvatn Fontana Geothermal Baths
- Long underwear
- Thick socks
- Suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- Contact lenses if you wear glasses
- Bathing suit and towel
- A COVID-19 face mask
Covid-19 safety precautions
- We are a certified partner of the Clean and Safe initiative
- Only 6 passengers with a guide
- Plenty of space at Silfra to uphold the 2-meter rule
- Mandatory mask use on our transfer bus and within 2m at Silfra (if needed)
- Customers bring their own COVID-19 face mask
- Hand sanitizer and disposable gloves are provided in our bus and at Silfra
- All equipment and vehicles are thoroughly sanitized after every tour
For your safety, all participants must:
- have read, signed, and followed directions on the online Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement (link provided in the confirmation email) PDF
- have our Snorkeling Medical form signed off by a doctor if they are age 60 or older PDF
- sign our liability release form at the start of the snorkeling tour PDF
- be at minimum 150cm / maximum 200cm
- be at minimum 45kg / maximum 120kg
- fit within our dry suit size chart PDF
- be at least 12 years of age on the year and at least 45 kg / 99 lbs
- be comfortable in the water and be able to swim
- be physically fit
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
- be able to communicate in English
- not be pregnant